In 1993 Canadian Attorney Garry Hoy was 100% sure he was safe as he threw himself against the unbreakable glass on the 24th floor where he worked. The second time Garry Hoy did it for emphasis, the window popped out of the frame and at age 38 he fell 24 floors to his unexpected death! It was a freakish and violent way to die.
Garry Hoy went to his death being partly right! The glass didn’t break, but there was another factor he didn’t consider — the frame holding the glass. That was his fatal oversight! Many professing Christians are dangerously presumptuous like Garry Hoy. They are absolutely 100% convinced God is holding them, God is keeping them and God guarantees their absolute safe arrival into his Paradise kingdom regardless how they live and what they believe since they have been regenerated. They are just as sure as Garry Hoy was that no other conditions can adversely affect their own salvation! As Garry Hoy plunged to his death unexpectedly, multitudes of former Christians are plunging into hell anticipating an entrance into heaven! WHY? What didn’t they factor in? They overlooked free will, human responsibility and the endurance through persecution which are needed for salvation. Such is taught throughout the New Testament by the Lord Jesus and his Apostles:
- Be dressed ready for service and keep your lamps burning. (Luke 12:35)
- The man who loves his life will lose it, while the man who hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life. (John 12:25)
- Keep watch over yourselves and all the flock of which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers. Be shepherds of the church of God, which he bought with his own blood. (Acts 20:28)
- So I strive always to keep my conscience clear before God and man. (Acts 24:16)
- Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. (Rom 12:11)
- I urge you, brothers, to watch out for those who cause divisions and put obstacles in your way that are contrary to the teaching you have learned. Keep away from them. (Rom 16:17)
- Do not be hasty in the laying on of hands, and do not share in the sins of others. Keep yourself pure. (1 Tim 5:22)
- Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, “Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.” (Heb 13:5)
- If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight rein on his tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless. Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world. (James 1:26,27)
- Dear children, keep yourselves from idols. (1 John 5:21)
- Keep yourselves in God’s love as you wait for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ to bring you to eternal life. (Jude 21)
Religious deceived people overlook such vital truths and focus in upon a verse like Jude 24 and the promise that God is able to keep us from falling. Garry Hoy similarly focused exclusively on the unbreakable glass only and neglected the frame holding the glass. That error was his last one! If you are a real Christian don’t overlook your own responsibilities under grace. It is spiritual suicide to do so! The danger for you is much greater than it was for Garry Hoy! Eternity is long time. Don’t be like Garry Hoy.